Thursday, September 12, 2013

The things you learn in the classroom haunt you for life...

Ok, I know that I have already posted something for the day, but I wanted to share this with all of you.  My last semester as a Graduate student at UK I took a class called Visual Culture in the Enlightenment with Dr. Anna Brzyski.  Probably the BEST class I took over the 2.35 years of my Masters program.  My final paper was focused on Louis XIV's court and how he was able to control the mass of France with the development of eating habits... long story short I learned a lot about how to eat, with what, and when and what that has to do with power.  AWESOME.

Any who, today, while trolling through my daily art blogs I came across this little gem, a public art exhibition on Louis XIV's famous gardener.

As I watched the video I recalled all the knowledge from that class and could pinpoint why each piece was chosen for the exhibition.  Why some pieces were cunning while others explored political ideas.

I wanted to share this with all of you to remind you that sometimes we take classes and we think, when am I EVER going to use  this again, (for me that was algebra) BUT YOU WILL! Pay attention to the knowledge that you are getting while you are here.  It will help you in the long run in either your job, to understand important cultural references, or to just help your trivia team get the right answer to win the free appitizer.  TRUST ME!

Peace,
Jeanette

No comments: