Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Senior Thesis: A Weekly Update

Happy Tuesday once again!

In my last post I explained that for the next five weeks I will be working with eight upper elementary students (grades 4th-6th) from Keystone Montessori twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays for about an hour. I am so excited to have the opportunity to teach these kids some awesome art lessons and I know the students are just as excited! 

Today I will be teaching my first lesson so I thought that I would share with you all my lesson plans! For this lesson I will be teaching the students about painting with watercolor's, and how to use the various watercolor techniques to create a work of art. 

These supplies bring back memories!
 I plan to teach the students techniques such as wet-on-wet, transparent (wet-on-dry), salt-resist, crayon resist, and opaque. I will give the students some time to practice these techniques before they begin on the big project! The project, was inspired by a blog written by an elementary art teacher who has some fantastic ideas which I plan to use in my future classroom. I will be asking the students to use crayons to draw a picture of a big colorful fish in which they will later use watercolors to paint the fish and they will demonstrate their newly learned knowledge of each of the watercolor techniques! (For example, if the student paints on top of the crayon, that is using the technique crayon-resist). I am so excited to see how these projects turn out and how the students will use their creative minds to make something great. To give everyone an idea of what I am talking about see the image below. 


This example was taken from the blog I mentioned earlier!

I pulled out my ART313 portfolio to use as an example!

 I'm starting to get nervous about teaching this first lesson, but I am so excited and I can't wait to share some details in my next post on how this first week of lessons went, so stay tuned (: 

Have a great week!! 

Shelby 

3 comments:

Chris Davis said...

Good luck, Shelby! Sounds like a fun lesson!

Earl Grey said...

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Shelbs said...

Good luck, Shelby! I'm sure it will be awesome! And again, feel free to talk to me if you need any advice or just someone to bounce ideas off of.