Friday, February 7, 2014

Loosening Up

I started working with plexiglas as a sophomore at Georgetown. I fell in love with all of the ways that it could be manipulated to create fluid forms from such a rigid origin. In the past I simply used a heat gun to create this shapes, but I've recently taken to using a woodburning kit to add patterns and texture to my piece, in addition to blowing my plexiglas into small domes through the use of a template I made, and a small box of Daniiel's making that hooks up to compressed air. In the coming weeks I will post some demos and pictures of the processes I use.

For now, I will leave you with an artist that has
really been inspiring me lately:

Afruz Amighi creates intricate, hand-cut patterns on her plexiglas which cast detailed shadows behind the works.



No comments: