Sunday, November 17, 2013

Graffiti

My students wanted to take me to this cave in the countryside that all of the older kids go to. Their parents said they were only allowed to go with an adult, namely me. Well, I wasn't going to go inside of the cave. The walls and things were covered with spiders. No.

However, I did decide to observe the graffiti that was all on the outside of the cave. This was interesting to me because graffiti is normally in a more public place. I'm also doing my final paper on graffiti, so I thought this would be a great chance to investigate.

I believe that this place started out as a beginning grounds for whomever the artist is or artists are. The art is very raw and mostly consists of names which I assume to be those of the artist or someone close. I say that because a lot of graffiti is done as a means to express oneself, the society around you, and as a protest of sorts for what's happening in the world around the artist.

These were the largest pieces on the wall, but over them were a lot of small pieces. It's possible that this site is a beginner's place for a lot of the graffiti artists in the area. It would make sense since it's hidden away and none of the older society go to this part of the mountains. At least, that's the vibe I got from the kids and the adults about the location.

If this is the starting ground, then the ultimate piece of graffiti that is the main focus of my final paper would be the finished product. 


http://nycgraffiti.tumblr.com/
http://graffiti-censored.tumblr.com/

No comments: