Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Variations on a Theme


This week's post is a follow up to last week's. Since then I've been able to finish off this current set of prints, press and flatten them, and scan them on my antique flatbed scanner setup (as evidenced on my Instagram blog). In the end I produced multiples of 12 different photograms with a final total of 39 unique prints. The results have been quite nice in a number of the pieces. I've mentioned before that the mordançage process can be a bit unpredictable (although with more and more practice I'm developing a better feel on how to create certain results). As evidence I wanted show you four variations stemming from the same original photogram. With specific timings, manipulation, and chemistry combinations, a wide range of final prints can be achieved.

In the coming months I will be continuing to work in the darkroom to extend on a series of mordançage photographs in anticipation for a show at the Jane Chancellor Moore Gallery in Frankfort, KY in December.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never liked doing this process or printmaking, because even with the same initial procedure you could still achieve variants. I don't like being "surprised" by my artwork because the process is not "concrete" but more like "theory." That's why I work better with Illustrator versus Photoshop, the same can be said with papercraft versus printmaking. But this is my purely my perspective, because I like to work with a "ones-and-zeros" mentality, and I have a greater respect for those who choose to experiment with a medium that is potentially sporadic.

Prof. Darrell Kincer said...

Daniel, I understand what you mean. This is a very different way of making photographs for me. Typically I shoot b&w and aim for accurate exposures, clean editing, and super-refined prints. I observe with the camera and the results are predictable for the most part. This on the other hand is at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of photographic art-making. And I think that's why I like it from time to time. It breaks the monotony and allows me to create and explore. I think I get a little burned out if I do the same thing too long.

GC::VA said...

These are great man! Its funny that Daniel made that comment since I see just the opposite. It seems to be a form of profound play. That these are things that are not surprising but rather come to through a series of experience and concrete trials. I also laugh as you said it was the other side of the spectrum since I see the accurate, clean, and refined even in this work. Keep it up.