Monday, October 25, 2010

Letterpress on apple

I stumbled across this on NotCot the other day and I thought it was a good and bad. Apple now offers a service of letterpress through iphoto, so you can print your own cards and such.  You can see the original post HERE.

 I really hope that people don't over saturate the use of letterpress and culturally burn through it as if it is a new fad or trend. There has been the obvious rising trend in typography and its process in the past few years and I get nervous that our current consumer culture will treat a historic process as disposable.  I know that the true letterpress craftspeople that hold, use, and teach this traditional process will not stop but I get nervous that their clients may think it has become to mainstream or think that the iphoto version will yield the same results. There are arguments in both directions of what this will do in terms of accessibility but also the de-marketization of the small print studio.  I also will wear sack cloth and ashes the day one of my students looks at letterpress work and says "oh yeah like in iphoto".

1 comment:

Earl Grey said...

That application is very lame. Behold letterpress, the way it's supposed to be.