Monday, May 9, 2011

tattoo copyright

I thought this was an interesting issue of authenticity (a topic that has come up a lot this semester).  I think the world of tattoo is a shifting platform when it comes to authenticity. If I provided the design who does it below to artistically?  This same idea comes up often in academia where students are provided projects.  Lets say I give a student an assignment, a direction, restrictions and expectations...is it really the students work?

Full story available HERE.

Victor Whitmillwho did Mike Tyson's infamous facial tattoo in 2003, is suing Warner Bros. for copyright infringement in pirating his tattoo design "without attempting to contact [him], obtain his permission, or credit his creation"; he seeks damages and an injunction to stop the use of the tattoo in the film--which is essentially a big part of the movie. I am really curious to see how this plays out since the movie is set to release on memorial day.  




 

No comments: