Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Master Woodworker or How I Spent My Summer, part 1

Summer is a great time to break away from the typical routine and do something fresh or new. In my case, I had the wonderful opportunity to work on a couple projects with a master woodworker.

Occasionally, you will have the chance to study and work with someone you admire and whose skills seem almost magical. Their wealth of knowledge and lifetime of experience are unfathomable. And for a short time, you are able to observe and hopefully soak up their wisdom, and perhaps someday pass it on to another.

Fortunately for me, I have had a lifetime to learn from a great master, my dad, Roger Kincer. For as long as I can remember, he has been designing and building outstanding works in his shop. This summer, our first task was a wardrobe.

With the addition of our new son, Owen (almost 5 months now), we needed a little more room at home for storing clothes—my clothes to be specific. So my dad and I set out to design a wardrobe to match our bedroom set which he built over 35 years ago.

With some basic size parameters that I laid out, he began to conceive a plan to create this new addition. And after days and weeks of construction, the piece you see here was completed. So now I have room for all of my clothes, and more importantly a family heir loom to be enjoyed for generations to come.


Posted by Prof. Darrell Kincer

No comments: