Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tabaimo

Seniors are settling into plans for the Senior show, which opens MARCH 22!! When talking with one student today, I was thinking of the work of Japanese video artist Tabaimo (1975--). Her piece "Dolehouse" is below (also available on Art21


Her drawings and video installations deal with isolation, contagion, and instability in her society - contemporary Japan - and, it seems, too, in others. She draws upon Japanese art forms such as ukiyoe woodcuts, manga, and anime. The settings are often communal - places where folks gather. Even if the subject or medium of her work is not of your interest, consider her process. She notes that she approaches work “as though I spread a piece of paper in front of me and began throwing things on it.” Isn't this how many of work in our mediums -- be they words, graphite, ink, toner, paint, yarn? I encourage all of the seniors to view the work of other contemporary artists on the Art 21 site. And, of course, come by and talk with the faculty! (Juniors, it's never too early to start thinking about senior show!)

5 comments:

K. said...

I love this! I love Art 21. Will there be a special post highlighting the senior show? If not there should be. :)

Earl Grey said...

Boris is working with seniors this year - I am sure an alert or post is forthcoming. HOWEVER....NOTE TO SELF: the show opens March 22 -- extremely early! Save the date!

K. said...

Noted. I put it in my outlook calendar. Hooray! How many art historians this year?

Earl Grey said...

One - and she's writing about GC architecture, spaces, and memories. GO ART HISTORY:)

K. said...

YAY!